Stream the new Phoenix album Bankrupt today on iTunes a week early! No R. Kelly, unfortunately:
Besides The Postal Service reunion, I had no strong desire to be at Coachella, so I chose to watch the Youtube stream from my own home all weekend. In case anyone can’t tell, I LOVE streaming things. Technology is fantastic, and while the stream was much choppier than last year’s Bonnaroo stream, it got the point across. Things I learned from watching all weekend:
– I really need a new stool for the computer. This one is rickety and fake leather and all the buttons on top popped off so you sit on little metal circles. I can’t work like this.
–Cloud Nothings rule. I’ve only seen them in little dark places, so was very curious how they would do in the day on a huge stage. They killed it.
– thank goodness for 3 Channels of music, because a lot of it was stuff I have seen in the past year and not been impressed with
– Jenny Lewis makes me cry even if she is wearing a slutty Wicked Witch of the East circus conductor outfit
– Jake Bugg continues to be awesome as can be
– I do not get why everyone likes the xx or James Blake, I try and try but they both make me bored instantly
– if there is one thing people like to do at Coachella, it’s putting their hands in the air
– people LOVE The Lumineers, they played for their biggest audience ever
– a friend worked on the Daft Punk teaser video
– R. Kelly can do no wrong in my book apparently. Dude pees on a minor, and I’m still freaking and loving him onstage with Phoenix doing a “1901” and “Ignition” mash-up, and it worked!
– they apparently had great drugs. The clips of the electronic acts were mesmerizing and repulsive, saw a lot of eyes rolled in the back of heads. YEAH! BASS IN YO FACE
– best festival fashion ever since many can afford to trash designer stuff in Southern California. Absurd amount of flower crowns but at least I like them. High waisted denim shorts are now called Coachella shorts, which is BS, Austin’s been running that fashion game for years!
– Tame Impala should tour with a wind machine always
– Danny DeVito is a good twitterer: Danny Devito at Coachella
– Social Distortion never lost it
– Ty Segall jumped onstage with Thee Oh Sees but they weren’t shown on the stream. Coachella Director!! Please show them next weekend!
– crowd surfing is still strong in California, and there are more tanned, muscled, tank top wearing, gang sign throwing yo-bro dudes than I ever imagined….
If there is one thing I love, it’s streaming festivals from my own home. Bonnaroo is my fave, being in a time zone ahead of me, but I’ll take what I can get! I’m most amped for the Postal Service reunion and Grizzly Bear tonight.
Bonus video of Jake Bugg nailing it in front of a ton of people:
Fellas, this one is not for you, put a baseball cap on, grow some dreads, rock a bowl cut, no one is looking at you. Ladies, concerts are your time to look like a cute little fairy rockstar, and I have a couple cute suggestions that work for me. Many of you can put your hair in a ponytail and go. Something about the way I dance causes that ponytail to turn into a tangled rat tail, so I often go for pigtails since they lay lower and don’t tangle or smack people behind you in the face.
For the past few years, feather hair clips were a hot item. Now it’s all about the permanent streak of funky color. Here’s Selena Gomez rocking blue:
Blue, purple or teal is great for brunettes, while blondes have been going for more pinks and corals. Blondes-a warning: pink dye loves blonde hair. The other colors tend to fade, but not pink, so make sure you really like the look before you get it done. Below is my hair. That’s about a year and a half of layering various colors so my hair wouldn’t fall out just because I wanted to look like a My Little Pony:
If physically destroying your hair for the sake of looking funky isn’t your thing, then you are in luck. Braids are HUGE and Pinterest has more tutorials than you can shake a stick at: Braid Hairstyles from Pinterest
Lastly, we have the flower headband which is big this year. In past years girls wore headbands around their foreheads, and I can’t stand them because they always make your hair do this:
It makes the hair by your part all puff up weird and your head looks like a lightbulb. Seen this WAY too much. Instead, go for this. Much prettier look, doesn’t leave a line across your forehead, and who doesn’t like letting their inner flower child out when dancing at Red Rocks (or your local venue):
Or if you are a next-level concert-goer, go big:
Heck, combine em together and suddenly you are Drew Barrymore during her really good style years! Happy dancing, ladies!