Combining excellent songcraft with a great voice that hits your soul, Jenny Lewis can do no wrong in my eyes. Her long reign of awesome songs continues with “Completely Not Me”, a song that ran with the credits for HBO show Girls’ premiere. Recorded with Vampire Weekend‘s Rostam Batmanglij, the stomping beat, banjo, and effervescent backing vocals give the song a country church feeling complete with angels watching over.
Besides The Postal Service reunion, I had no strong desire to be at Coachella, so I chose to watch the Youtube stream from my own home all weekend. In case anyone can’t tell, I LOVE streaming things. Technology is fantastic, and while the stream was much choppier than last year’s Bonnaroo stream, it got the point across. Things I learned from watching all weekend:
– I really need a new stool for the computer. This one is rickety and fake leather and all the buttons on top popped off so you sit on little metal circles. I can’t work like this.
–Cloud Nothings rule. I’ve only seen them in little dark places, so was very curious how they would do in the day on a huge stage. They killed it.
– thank goodness for 3 Channels of music, because a lot of it was stuff I have seen in the past year and not been impressed with
– Jenny Lewis makes me cry even if she is wearing a slutty Wicked Witch of the East circus conductor outfit
– Jake Bugg continues to be awesome as can be
– I do not get why everyone likes the xx or James Blake, I try and try but they both make me bored instantly
– if there is one thing people like to do at Coachella, it’s putting their hands in the air
– people LOVE The Lumineers, they played for their biggest audience ever
– a friend worked on the Daft Punk teaser video
– R. Kelly can do no wrong in my book apparently. Dude pees on a minor, and I’m still freaking and loving him onstage with Phoenix doing a “1901” and “Ignition” mash-up, and it worked!
– they apparently had great drugs. The clips of the electronic acts were mesmerizing and repulsive, saw a lot of eyes rolled in the back of heads. YEAH! BASS IN YO FACE
– best festival fashion ever since many can afford to trash designer stuff in Southern California. Absurd amount of flower crowns but at least I like them. High waisted denim shorts are now called Coachella shorts, which is BS, Austin’s been running that fashion game for years!
– Tame Impala should tour with a wind machine always
– Danny DeVito is a good twitterer: Danny Devito at Coachella
– Social Distortion never lost it
– Ty Segall jumped onstage with Thee Oh Sees but they weren’t shown on the stream. Coachella Director!! Please show them next weekend!
– crowd surfing is still strong in California, and there are more tanned, muscled, tank top wearing, gang sign throwing yo-bro dudes than I ever imagined….
If there is one thing I love, it’s streaming festivals from my own home. Bonnaroo is my fave, being in a time zone ahead of me, but I’ll take what I can get! I’m most amped for the Postal Service reunion and Grizzly Bear tonight.
Bonus video of Jake Bugg nailing it in front of a ton of people:
My life is complete. Next month an album of unreleased tracks, B-Sides and rarities will be released by Rilo Kiley. Just got the advance copy and this Jenny Lewis obsessive is in LOVE. Every single song is just perfect, and fans will be ecstatic. No need to comment on any different kind of sound, this is the early Rilo Kiley you love. Can the Postal Service Red Rocks show come any sooner??