photo by Russ Simon
My neighbor is a prize-winning tulip gardener, and the second the snow melted, the ladies came out! You should see her backyard. I’m allowed to take as many flowers as I want, as well as walk around in them, in exchange for occasionally shoveling her sidewalk. Community! Needless to say, I feel very fortunate to have such a nice neighbor. The tank top is Brandy Melville, it’s Dylan mixed with The Misfits. It is my favorite tank ever, and I wish I could find another. Literally went to the store in San Diego twice before the sales chick found one in a pile of other black tank tops. The skirt was a disaster, windy day, better with a bathing suit.
Here’s some songs I’m loving today (all song titles are links to the song):
1. Rolling Stones “Emotional Rescue” : first time played live, Jagger swaggering and pointing with splendour, every note perfect. To Vegas or not to Vegas….
2. Deodato “Also Sprach Zarathustra(2001)” : my husband heard a version of 2001 that he thought was Phish with horns, did some searching, found it. This is the best rendition of a song ever. Timeless. It’s been played about a hundred times blaring through our speakers through the house. My life has felt very funky but dramatic.
3. The Bamboos “Happy” : continue the funk with this New Zealand band that really needs to tour the USA.
4. TEEN “Circus (Live at Union Pool)” : great, loud, pretty stuff, their name is around a lot right now, I like the flashlight video.
5. Metz “Wet Blanket” : if you have some patience and let the music inside you, it’s the most amazing feeling in the world. They are playing in Denver at Hi Dive on Tuesday. It’s going to be so forceful.
6. Lorde “Royals” : New Zealand is really cranking out unbelievable music! This song is slithery, minimal beat, nice vocals, I have a song of the day!
7. Faces on Film “Knot in the Vine” : this band has a slick, dreamy sound. Sounds like a movie where everyone is sweaty in a small town and most of them have slept with each other and drama sweaty drama.
8. No Joy “Negaverse” : opening for Metz this Tuesday, beautiful noise.
9. Chain in the Gang “Living in the Panther Cage” : love some quirky minimal stuff with male and female vocals and loud snare.
10. Goat “Goatman” : heard this year’s Austin Psych Fest was the best year yet, I’m in for sure next year at this new location. Kicking myself that I skipped it and missed these guys. So much to do, so little time…..
Update- song 11 came in last night and it’s just a perfect simple piece of beauty : “Big Talking” by White Woods