First off, did you know one of the drummers for March Fourth Marching Band hand makes leather hats that are amazing? Bring an extra $90 to their next show if you are a hat lover, I wish I had!
Now that summer is here my musical tastes get a little more light and dancey, it’s just too hot for sludge. Here is a list of the songs I like this week (all song titles in blue are links to the music):
1. Stare at the Sun – Eleanor Friedberger. Last week I posted the stream of her new album. I adore her voice and this song makes me want to hit the park.
2. Dumb Disco Ideas – Holy Ghost!. Light pretty dance electronic.
3. Demon Dance – Surfer Blood. Great sounding chill band with the occasional Weezer-like melody.
4. Warm Spell – Sinkane. Session Musician who has worked with Yeasayer and others, Sudanese influences, breezy good stuff. Loving the drums.
5. Faces – Jonathan Rado. Guitarist of Foxygen already has a solo album, and with help from White Denim’s guitarist, it sounds fantastic. A little Albert Hammond, Jr. action.
6. Orchards – Wampire. Love this Portland psych band, and I adore the monster in the video. These guys are touring right now, don’t miss them.
7. Oblivion – Waxahatchee. Fantastic cover of the Grimes song, with more garage sound. Love this so much.
8. She’s On Fire – King Tuff. Ever since Garage Swim came out, I’ve been listening to this song on repeat. Wish it had an extended version, I love the video game sounds at the end.
9. Dog That Bit You – The Baptist Generals. Sub Pop band releases new album after ten years, I really dig their sound, reminds me of a modern Tom Petty with a weird voice.
10. Captain Brain – Bill Baird. Not quite a new song, but one of my all time faves. When I listen to it in the car I tend to drive too fast.